Friday, February 11, 2011

Spikes & Tie Plates

Hi Everybody,

My order from Lou Cross arrived Wednesday. 17 pieces of code 100 rail for the sidings at the mill. A big batch of tie plates which have to be cut from the sprues. It's a good TV watching job. I've been cutting the tie plates for the code 125 from their sprues. I use a pair of flush cutting nippers to snip them off. There were also the components for the #6 switch located at the bottom of the little decent to street level with a street crossing right threw it. The photo below shows the two tie plate. The longer plate is the code 125 tie plate.


I went searching on the web for Micro Engieering's Micro Spikes. So far I've purchased 7000 spikes plus the 200 or so I had left over from the On2 layout. I know some people don't like these spikes because of the blunt end. I used them in building the On2 trackage. I found if the spike is turned so the wide edge of the spike runs with the grain of the tie, it'll go in easier. I also found that using a common pin with the head cut off and pushed into the end of a wood dowel or mounted in a pin vise to make a starter hole. I have a small pin vise that was difficult to drill with so I've used it instead. Yes it's an extra step, but the look of detailed track is awsome.

I will be starting to build the spline roadbed this weekend. I have the wood strips picked out. I'm also thinking this would be a good time to start installing the lighting for the layout. It'll be easier doing it now than when the scenery is starting to go in. Will also aid in the spiking. You never have enough light for that job. When I moved into my home, the contractor who did the remodeling on the inside had left a few sheets of brown wood grained paneling that I will use for the lighting valence.

Boy this is going to be fun!

2 comments:

  1. Great news Chester - enjoy the Zen of Track Laying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Trevor. Keep checking my pages. I'm always adding to them.

    ReplyDelete