Sunday, February 6, 2011

Risers

What a beautiful day today with temps hitting the high 30's and low 40's so I headed out to the garage and started cutting the risers. After I cut what wood I had I headed for the railroad room and got to work.


These are the risers for the sidings of the Opielowski Woolen Combine Co. There are two sidings back at the corner which is the shipping/receiving tracks for the mill The three taller risers on the right are the siding to the mill coal trestle. This will also be the height of the main line and yard here in Barre. The fourth one in that group which is lower is the top of the grade coming up from street level. The risers with the clamps will be raised after the spline sub-bed is done.  After the grade is in place, then I'll glue the roadbed in place.

I have also started the planning of Tarra firma that will start filling in the open areas around the roadbed. I will be using the pink extruded foam insulation for all the scenery base. I got hooked on this method when I was working on an HOn3 modular layout years ago. To keep weight down we glued layers together and then shaped them. And that's what I'll be doing here. There isn't a weight issue here, I just like the way it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment