Monday, February 28, 2011

More Progress

Hi Everybody. Had a productive weekend. Finished up the sub-roadbed last night. Now the next step is to create the grade up to mainline height. This is going to require cross cut slots in the sub-roadbed so there will be a smoother transition into and out of the grade.




The top of the grade is just past the first riser. When I start to raise the roadbed I will need to add one more riser on the nearest  joist for the ends of the splines to be anchored on.




This bit of work is for the throw rod from the switch motor to the switch. The arrow is for when the homabed is glued down and covers the opening, the center of the slot can be located. The pencil marks on the right are for the slots locations when I start to cut them. I'll use my Makita cordless circular saw to make the cuts.

While watching the glue dry, I've been planning some of the many things that need to be done. One such item is the location of the power bus lines. I've thought of stapling them to the front of the risers, on top and bottom of the joists. I think I like stapling them to the front edge of the risers the most..

Yesterday afternoon I was able to get out to the garage and cut up a 1 x 6 x 8'  into splines. This was just the beginning of many boards to be ripped up into splines.

In the top photo, that single riser is where the coal trestle starts. I'll be using the trestle bents that my friend had made.





This is the mill before removal to my house. The trestle in the fore ground is were I'll get the bents from. Unfortunately for me, the wedge shaped building on the right can't be used. They are the storage warehouses for the mill and there's nowhere to put it for now. I mite be able to use parts of it for the oil dealership in Hadley. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment