Monday, February 21, 2011

the First complete sub-roadbed


Well almost. The front spur still needs the outside spline on the rear side. Ran out of glue last night. I put two pieces of the Calif  Homabed in place just to see what it's going to look like. I bought both straight and beveled sides. I'll be using the straight sided here because the track will most likely be buried here. The extruded foam will be set in with it level with the tops of the ties. Once the track work is done in this location, I can move the mill structures back in set in their correct location and even start some scenery around the buildings and track. Easier when every thing is open.

I still need to continue further with the other end. With all the long pieces I used the ends are all in the same location, so I will have to stagger the splices the best I can. That end has to be longer so the top of the rise will be level with a smooth transition. To do this, I will be cutting slots every 1/4" and about 3/4's to 7/8's of the depth of the spline on the top side at the bottom of the rise and on the under side at the top. Then once the top is in it's location, I'll go back and fill all the slots with glue and some splice plates on the outside to be on the safe side.

I now have about 12,000 spikes to get started. I bought another 5000 from ME direct.

With this little stoppage, I'm going forward with the installation of the lighting. I will be using a 27 W CFIs at 5100 K for coloring. They will be spaced about 2 ft. apart. They will be screwed into ceramic lamp bases I got at Home Depot. These will be mounted on 3/4 X 5 X 5 pads that will be mounted on the ceiling. The valence will also be attached to pad.

Hey any body got more clamps? See ya next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment