Sunday, July 17, 2011

Couldn't wait any longer

Hi Everybody,


That's right. Can't wait forever, so today I gave the old eyes another chance. It must have been eye strain the other day, because I was able to focus on the pliers and spike. So I got out the bridge deck and stated spiking down rail.



I've only gotten the rails roughed in. It's been a long time since I last spiked down rail. And it was much simpler too. On2 doesn't require tie plates, so the use of tie plates is a skill that has to be worked at. Won't take long either. I think it will be easier at the layout. With the track so high off the floor it will be closer to eye level and I won't have to bend down all that much. That's one reason I chose to build it high. And that boxcar rolls so smooth it's unbelievable. I don't know if it's that the wheels are turned rather than the way commerical wheel sets are made or if it's the prototype contour or both but it does roll smoothly.

Also during the week an order from Micro Mark which contained some casting resin and a pouring ladle for pouring low-temp metal for car weight arrived. There are some parts that I have made  patterns for and made the casting molds for. When I was modeling On2 I had to make parts like body bolsters. So I made them to the prototype and with the cars so low to the ground, nobody could see them. One pattern I made is for a replacement body bolster for the Lionel PS-1 boxcars. It's more than likely that it is totally incorrect for the car, but I'm not all that concerned about the under body of the cars. If I start detailing every car to the ninth degree, I'll never get anything done. Beside, I believe more people look at the exterior of the car than getting down low enough to see the underbody.

So the arrival of the casting resin means I'll be starting to build some rolling stock. When I do, I'll let you know there is something to look at. And with that I'll say,

See ya next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment