Sunday, April 17, 2011

I just had to see

Hi Everybody,





What do ya think? Looks pretty good if I say so myself. I just had to see what it was going to look like. I put in the ground filler between the backdrop and the sub roadbed. Looking threw the risers you can see some vertical pieces of wood. These are the uprights I cut to support the mill structures. There is another piece that lies on top of the uprights that the extruded foam lies on. Used my "Hot Wire" to do the cutting of the foam. In the days, months & years ahead, it'll be used quite a bit.

I have been doing a bit of research into the late 50's and early 60's. Even though I grew up in those years, I didn't get to do any train chasing. My train watching was limited to the open field at the end of the street I grew up on which over looked the "Springfield Hill" of the Boston and Albany. It is located on the east side of Springfield and begins right after leaving the station. It was great back then, you could hear the Alco FA's and FB's, RS-2's and 3's opening up to hit the grade. There wasn't as much noise as there is today. At night in the summer I could listen to the switchers going about their business in the station and the freight house yard. And I lived a good 5 miles as the crow flies from the station.

Well, just a couple of small things to still do and then Track laying begins.

See ya next time.

5 comments:

  1. Looks great Chester!
    Say - that looks like quite the reach in from the front of the benchwork. How deep is that? Are you going to be able to uncouple way back there? Are you using Kadees or Protocraft couplers? Or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Trevor.

    The reach looks worse than it really is. It's less than an arms length, about 21". I will be using Protocrafts couplers and operators will be given long bamboo skewers that you buy in the super market to operater the coupler bars. While designing this area, that was a concern for me, but now that it's built, it doesn't look to be a problem now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing about O scale is that larger buildings really do have a lot of mass and presence to them. Those look good, and will look even better with track and scenery.

    Mike C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes they do. You should see them in person. I will be following your methods in preparing the ties. With both siding buried I can practice on these ties before venturing out onto the main line. I'll be able to save on code 100 tie plates in this area too. From the frog to end of track is all buried so I can start with out worring about running out of tie plates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chester,
    That sounds like a good plan. Nothing like some practice to chase away doubt and fear. Remember, nothing is so sacred you can't yank it out and start over if it doesn't satisfy you. Good luck, I look forward to seeing the progress as it's posted here.

    Regards,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete