Saturday, January 22, 2011

I'm learning

Hello everybody. It's freaking cold here in New England this weekend. And the snow is getting deeper with each storm. This weekend I will be adding material to a couple of my pages.

Why P:48? I've been modeling since I was 12 yrs old. Back in the late 50's and early 60's is when I got my start. A friend who lived across the street from me had an American Flyer layout and that is where my interest in railroading took form. I modeled in HO for years with side trips into HOn3 and a little HOn2. Not much happened in HOn2 because of lack of proper tools and such. After a tour in the Navy, I came back to HO. When I finally acquired my home, it was decided to go into On2. I started building the railroad while finishing the basement where the railroad was. But after years of not doing much modeling, I scrapped the On2 layout and started thinking about what I wanted to.

Now that I'm in my 60's, the eye sight isn't as good and the hands shake a bit so the small stuff was out. Back in the late 70's I had started modeling in O Scale. So I decided to give it a try again. I then started reading about P:48. I have never understood why 1.25" was chosen for the track gauge. HO was to 4' 8 1/2" why not O Scale? I bought some wheels and when I saw them I was hooked. I had decided from the beginning to hand lay all of the track using Right-of-Way track parts, so the change was very easy as I hadn't started laying rail. Now I am aquiring Rich Yoder trucks and Protocraft wheelsets and couplers. The railroad room is finished and benchwork has been started. More of that in the Construction page. I'm still gathering track stuff, tie plates, joint bars and switch parts.

That's it for today. Stay tuned for more about the Hampshire County Ry.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chester,
    I think you'll find P48 very satisfying and enjoyable for modeling. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
    Regards,
    Mike Cougill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,
    Thanks. I plan on starting laying out centerlines on the benchwork sometime this week. Now if it would only warm up so I can work in the garge and cut wood.
    Chester

    ReplyDelete
  3. Originally toy train manufacturers gave the gauge as the distance between the rail centres. If you are using 1/4" x 1/8" strip as rail, then with a scale of 1:48 you would end up with a track gauge representing 4'9". At some point, something got confused - but we are talking late 19th century here,

    ReplyDelete